With Warrior’s Way trainer Jeff Hearn:
- New River Gorge, WV: Sept 30-Oct 1
With Warrior’s Way trainer Laura Sabourin:
- Flagstaff, AZ: Sept 30
Title: The Warrior’s Way Falling and Commitment Camp
Camp Description: This training addresses falling directly to help improve commitment. We do progressive falling practice, followed by movement, breathing, resting, and body/mind awareness exercises. Finally, students apply everything to a goal route. Students leave understanding how to take appropriate risks and how to commit to those risks.
You’ll learn how to:
- Fall safely
- Give a dynamic (cushioned) belay
- Break a climb into smaller risk events
- Assess risks effectively
- Distinguish between no- and yes-fall zones
- Engage no- and yes-fall zones appropriately
- Make appropriate risk decisions
- Improve body and mind awareness
- Rest effectively
- Improve breathing
- Create flow and momentum
- Deal with climbing stress
- Commit more deliberately
- Reduce fear, and more
- Consistently able to toprope 5.9 in a gym with no falls or hanging on the rope
- Climb indoors/outdoors at least 1-2 times per week
- At least 6 months of continuous climbing experience within the last year
Read Espresso Lessons with emphasis on Preparation and Action Chapters, and the exercises in the Appendix for these chapters.
Equipment: Bring usual climbing equipment plus rope and draws. A helmet is also required.
Investment: The cost for each camp varies based on the hosting guide service. Below are approximate costs.
- $450: 2-day camp
- $225: 1-day camp
- Space limited to 4 or 6 depending on the location